You can using VirtualBox and Vagrant to run a Linux virtual machine but it need proper configurations and you will run into problem with
npm sooner or later.
You can use RailsInstaller but it is attached to a specific Rails’ version. With Laragon, you not only get the functionalities of RailsInstaller but also have a portable and reliable environment - so you can:
- Mess your Ruby environment without any worries. It is very helpful when you learn Rails or have many projects which require
different versions of Ruby.
Move your environment aroundwithout any worries: to USBs, other partitions, PCs, Clouds.
- Effortlessly add or remove
stateful serviceswith Zero Operation: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB
Laragon's RubyOnRails includes:
- Ruby 2.3
- Gem (you can install Rails with 1 simple command:
gem install rails)
- Node.js & npm
- Devkit (helps you compile native extensions - code written in C for better performance)
- Redis (for Action Cable, a WebSockets interface for Rails)